Ⅰ. Phonetics (10 points)
In each of the following groups of words, there are four underlined letter combinations marked A, B, C and D. Compare the underlined parts and identify the one that is different from the others in pronunciation. Mark your answer by blackening the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
1.A. club B. tomb C. comb D. climb
2.A. food B. cool C. school D. flood
3.A. town B. how C. down D. snow
4.A. each B. peach C. break D. deal
5.A. hear B. fear C. dear D. wear
6.A. receive B. friend C. field D. piece
7.A. question B. notion C. exception D. vocation
8.A. exhaust B. exercise C. exam D. exact
9.A. where B. what C. whose D. white
10.A. switch B. hatch C. character D. match
Ⅱ. Vocabulary and Structure (40 points)
There are 40 incomplete sentences in this section. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose one answer that best completes the sentence and blacken the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
11. Today is Jenny’s wedding day. She _______ to Thomas.
A. just has got married B. has just married
C. was just married D. has just got married
12. Every officer and every soldier _______ obey the rules.
A. had to B. have to C. has to D. must have to
13. Rarely _______ so difficult a problem.
A. she could have faced with B. could have she faced with
C. she could have been faced with D. could she have been faced with
14. ______ a dog on the road, the car stopped.
A. Having seen B. On seeing C. The driver seeing D. Seeing
15. I asked my teacher _______.
A. what courses should I take B. should I take what courses
C. I should take what courses D. what courses I should take
16. Comrade Li promised to help us and he said he would come ______.
A. right away B. all at once C. all of a sudden D. all right
17. There aren’t many pandas ________ in the world today.
A. alive B. living C. lively D. lived
18. Such electron tubes ________ in a radio set are also found in a TV set.
A. that we use B. as we use C. as we use them D. that we use them
19. It _______ to me that he was jealous.
A. happened B. took C. occurred D. felt
20. One of the requirements for a fire is that the material ______ to its burning temperature.
A. were heated B. must be heated C. is heated D. be heated
21. Please ______ me at the station on time.
A. meeting B. to meet C. meet D. met
22. _______ “hello”, he reached out his hand.
A. Said B. Saying C. To say D. Say
23. People are more _______ to spend money on goods with an attractive look than those without.
A. attracted B. tempted C. persuaded D. tended
24. It was ______ he saw the doctor coming out of the emergeney room with an expression as grave as a judge _______ he realized the seriousness of his wife’s illness.
A. not until…that B. after…when C. until…then D. before…that
25. Please telephone me half an hour _______.
A. in charge B. in advance C. in time D. in front
26. Both Mary and Ellen, as well as Jan, _______ studying Chinese History.
A. are B. is C. are being D. is being
27. I’d like to _______ him to you for the job. He is a very clever and industrious boy.
A. refer B. suggest C. recommend D. propose
28. It ______ that 200 people died and over 5,000 lost their shelters after the flood.
A. reported B. reports C. has been reported D. has reported
29. He was asked to speak louder ______ all the other students in the classroom could hear him.
A. as B. so as to C. so that D. so as
30. His report on the space exploration was really ________.
A. exciting B. excited C. excitement D. excitedly
31. Your chair needs _______.
A. to repair B. repairing C. to repairing D. being repair
32. I hate to see papers _______ in pencil.
A. writing B. to write C. written D. write
33. The job made her dependent _______ her husband.
A. on B. from C. of D. to
34. This is the second time she ______ improvement on that equipment.
A. had made B. made C. is making D. has made
35. He spoke so quickly that I did not ______ what he said.
A. catch B. accept C. take D. listen
36. _______determines a good meal varies from country to country.
A. What B. That C. It D. Which
37. As the journey was a long one, he took a friend with him for ________.
A. pleasure B. entertainment C. company D. defence
38. I suggest _______ for an outgoing this Sunday.
A. us going B. we are going C. to go D. our going
39. We’ve ______ sugar. Ask him to lend us some.
A. run away with B. run down C. run off D. run out of
40. It was in 1930 _______ he became a university student.
A. when B. that C. which D. and
41. I am very _______ to you for your help.
A. grateful B. agreeable C. pleased D. thanks
42. You _______ go now. It’s very late.
A. had rather B. prefer to C. had better D. would rather
43. If I were you, I would take it easy, _______ is no need to be nervous.
A. it B. this C. there D. which
44. Why not _______ me earlier?
A. to tell B. tell C. telling D. told
45. Joe’s handwriting is ________ Mary’s.
A. more better B. as well as C. much better than D. more better than
46. The experiment _______ the discovery of a cure for cancer.
A. happened to B. led up C. resulted in D. set up
47. To produce one pound of honey, a colony of bees must fly a distance _______ to twice around the world.
A. similar B. equal C. compared D. corresponding
48. I did not mean ____ anything, but those apples looked so good I couldn’t resist ___one.
A. to eat…trying B. to eat…to trying C. eating…to try D. eating…to trying
49. I had hardly sat down _______ he stepped in.
A. when B. that C. until D. after
50. In his time he enjoyed a reputation _______.
A. as great as Mozart, if not greater than B. as great as, if not greater than, Mozart
C. as great, if not greater, as Mozart D. greater, if not as great as Mozart
1.A 2.D 3.D 4.C 5.D 6.B 7.A 8.B 9.C 10.C
Ⅱ. Vocabulary and Structure
11.D 12.C 13.D 14.C 15.D 16.A 17.A 18.B 19.C 20.D 21.C 22.B 23.B 24.A
25.B 26.A 27.C 28.C 29.C 30.A 31.B 32.C 33.A 34.D 35.A 36.A 37.C 38.D
39.D 40.B 41.A 42.C 43.C 44.B 45.C 46.C 47.B 48.A 49.A 50.B